Thursday, December 9, 2010

This That and Quite Possibly the Other Thing


“Hey goodbye all you punks, stay young and stay high, Hand me my checkbook as I crawl off to die, Like a woman in childbirth grown ugly in a flash, I’ve seen magic and pain now I’m recycling trash.”
The Who “They’re All In Love”

Notes, tidbits, and other garbage concerning work, life, and other varied gibberish.


Both the Gorgeous One and I are suffering the ill effects of aging recently. The wife is still bothered a lot by the pinched nerve in her neck and has been getting treatment with a chiropractor. I am suffering from what I call “Shit Just Hurts”. Knees, hips, and I’m having a weird problem with my left hand that is impacting my Quality of Life. Getting older sucks, but it beats hell out of the alternative.

= + =

As I reported in another blog that I have posted, our company has cancelled our annual Christmas get together. For me personally, it’s not a big deal because I never go to these things. Historically I look upon company gatherings in the same way I look at prostate cancer and penis surgery without anesthesia, meaning things I want nothing to do with. With that said, though, there are a lot of people in my company who actually look forward to these events. Get your eat on, have a few drinks, socialize with people in other departments, have a little fun.

The cancelling of the Christmas party has not stopped our Managers from scheduling their own little soiree at one of the local hotels (if you work for the company, you get one guess as to WHICH hotel). After working for the military for 26 years, I get that the leaders of an organization need to get together once in a while in a social setting away from the office. In the military, they call these things “Officers Call” or “Officers Dining Out”, and I agree that they are probably Good Things, even in a civilian setting. Where the leaders (OK in my company there are no leaders, only managers) get together and talk in a social setting about issues of the day. Maybe a few remarks about where we want to go in the future.

By cancelling the Christmas party, though, and going through with this little event, it sends an understated message to those people like myself, “in the trenches”, the ones with the dirt under their fingernails. That message is, “Screw you people. We, your Betters, are gonna have our fun. Oh, and by the way, don’t even DREAM about Christmas bonuses, because those won’t be happening this year, if ever.”

Even if that isn’t the intended message, it speaks volumes without actually saying a word.

= + =

In this day and age, a lot of company’s use email as a way to get information to their employees. I agree that it’s a wonderful tool for doing that, especially in organizations where weird hours and geography come into play. With that said, what do you call people who insist on doing “reply alls” to emails, even those that say “reply directly to me” in their content? The names I have for them are:

Retarded

Learning Disabled

Riders of the Short Bus

Egotistical Fornicators of Swine
(because they feel that EVERYONE INVOLVED should know what their insignificant opinions are)

= + =

There are at least three people I know in my company who have received offer letters from other organizations in the past week. Sadly, most of them are really good at their jobs and are really good people. Two of them I love like brothers. While I am selfish when it comes to working with good people, I totally understand the fact that they are jumping. Hell, I wish I were in their shoes.

= + =

This apparently has been deemed The Week to Bleed for me. Three days in a row, something has happened at work that has caused me to lose blood. Monday it was my foot with a cut that basically ruined a pair of socks. Tuesday, the left index finger with a blister that popped and then started bleeding. Yesterday I accidently cut the tip of my right index finger, badly but not enough to require stitches, with the razor knife I carry on my belt to cut through cable insulation.

Yeah, it’s been one of Those Weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment