Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Somethings Coming, Something Good

For the life of me, I simply cannot figure it out.

It feels like I am on the cusp of something great. A feeling, deep down inside, that’s telling me that something incredibly awesome, wonderful, life changing, is about to happen in my life. I don’t know WHY I feel this way, but I can’t deny that the feeling is there. Call it a premonition, or call it just a gut instinct, but I just know it’s about to happen, soon.

This feeling has had a rather positive effect on my life in the past couple of days. The things that used to piss me off suddenly don’t really matter all that much anymore. I did something stupid this morning at work, and instead of beating myself up, calling myself an idiot, I actually laughed, smiled, joked with myself about it. This is totally out of character for me, since I am and always have been my own worst critic. Our normal Tuesday morning meetings, which I usually complain about a lot and dread worse than ass surgery without the benefit of anesthetic, was actually fun. I left the meeting smiling, energized to attack the tasks that I had to deal with today. Left work looking forward to going back there in the morning.

Something unbelievable will happen soon. I just have to wait and see what it is.

++

I made myself another one of my mix CD’s this morning, and loaded it into the stereo in my work truck. Since it was a band that I haven’t listened to lately (Journey), it came as a pleasant diversion as I was driving to one of our distant cell sites. Steve Perry and I were rocking out, I was driving well above the speed limit on a great piece of highway, and felt like I owned the world with $26 in my pocket. Funny what music can to do you sometimes when you least expect it. (BTW, the song Lights also works when the bay in question happens to be Hagatna Bay).

+ +

Pork steak cooked in the oven with some instant mashed taters is a great meal. The same leftover pork is even better the next day for dinner. I am beyond full right now from Day 2 of the porky goodness. I’m thinking fish sandwiches for dinner tomorrow night.

+ +

Is it just that the prices here on Guam are high, or did cereal suddenly become a luxury item? I was in the grocery store tonight picking up some milk and happened to walk down the cereal aisle. Seems to me that $5+ is a lot of money for a box of cereal. Then again, I’m kinda on the cheap side. I’m just happy that I don’t have little ones at home who are deep into cereal, because it could get real expensive real quick. (For those of you who are unaware, Frosted Mini-Wheats make a great snack when you’re sitting around watching TV. A little dry, but Diet Pepsi or a flagron of iced tea takes care of that rather well.)

+ +

For anyone who is interested, I’m still writing as a hobby, and have been jamming some pages on my book in the last couple of days. I sat down last night in the hope of just trying to capture some old memories about a certain event that happened nearly 25 years ago. Before I knew it, six pages and two hours had passed, and I was really into it. Anyone wanting to read some of this opus I am working on can email me at troyinhagatna@gmail.com and I will happily email you some pages. Constructive criticism is always greatly appreciated. I have no illusions about becoming the next J.K. Rowling, and I’m mostly writing for my own enjoyment.

+ +

That’s about it from “my city by the bay” here in Hagatna. Later this week I’ll take another stab at pop culture, a little about the status of rock radio for the middle aged, and other topics that strike my fancy or other bodily regions.

Always remember the immortal words of that great rock poet, Mr. Frank Zappa:
“You are what you is”.

No comments:

Post a Comment