Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sunday Morning Gibberish

Random gibberish, for no particular reason other than the fact that it’s 6 AM on a Sunday morning and I can’t sleep.

- The other day I had a sit down meeting with my supervisor, which is pretty rare. Most of the time, we only talk about what needs to be done and we leave each other alone. It’s not that we don’t like each other. Quite the contrary. It’s safe to say that I love the woman dearly. She’s more like family than a supervisor. The fact us that she’s incredibly busy and I don’t want to waste her time. I try to give her as much information as possible on what I am doing, get the feedback I need from her, and drive on. For the personal stuff, we stand around over cigarettes and coffee and bullshit with each other, but for work stuff we do drive bys, which I have no problem with and I think she appreciates.

One of the things that she mentioned during the brief sit-down meeting is that one of the upper managers told her that she feels that I and a few other people in my department are overpaid. These are the same people who are trying to drive my supervisor out of her position, trying to make her quit. At first when I was told that they felt I was overpaid I was pissed off. After about an hour, I realized that I just had to laugh about it. I’m one of those guys who comes in early and tries not to bitch much about things, so hearing that statement showed exactly how out of touch with reality some of the senior managers are.
The people in my department work insane hours, get called to work on stuff on their own time & are constantly looking for ways to make things better, but get treated by upper management like shit. I just keep repeating my mantra for 2010 (“When All Else Fails – S.T.F.U.”) and keep driving on.

- Spaghetti O’s for breakfast? Why the hell not? Sounds like quality nutrition to me.

- It has been a week since I left the Philippines and the wife. You would think that after living by my own self for nearly 3 years before The Gorgeous One arrived here that I could easily transition back into being by myself again, but you would be wrong. After 7 months of marriage, a guy gets used to certain little things in day to day life. Struggling with sleep, and a few other issues as well. Needless to say, I miss her a lot. Aside from the fact that I can now smoke in the bathroom while taking a dump, it sucks that she’s not here. I miss her physical presence, if that makes any sense. We talked last night, and it’s looking like the end of March before she will be back. Surgery is tentatively scheduled for early March, with a couple of weeks of recovery at her mom’s house. She has one more test that has to be done before the surgery, but it can’t be done until the first week of March. Wish she was here right now.

- Watched two movies yesterday that I would like to mention. I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell is a funny movie, just not nearly as funny as the book it’s based off of. Facing Ali is great if you are even a minor fan of boxing. In this flick, 10 different boxers talk about what it was like to fight Muhammad Ali. Really well done flick.

- One of the benefits of the medication that my dermatologist has me taking is the dreams I’ve been having. They’re vivid and pleasant and sometimes a little weird. One involved meeting singer Ann Wilson from Heart, standing outside by the back of a pickup truck, talking. Cool but bizarre. The other involved me winning the lottery, $4.5 million, and what actions would take place immediately following said win. The moving of money around to my daughter and other family members, the plans I would put into action, ways to sneak large bundles of cash onto an airplane.

Naturally, after having the last dream, I had to play the lottery yesterday. Naturally I didn’t win shit. Money may not be able to buy happiness, but it can sure as hell lease it.

More later - my Spaghetti O’s are getting cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment