Friday, December 31, 2010

The Last of My Gibberish for 2010


"As I walk through this wicked world
Searchin for light in the darkness of insanity.
I ask myself: Is all hope lost?
Is there only pain and hatred, and misery?
And each time I feel like this inside,
There's one thing I wanna know:
What's so funny bout peace love & understanding?
What's so funny bout peace love & understanding?"
Elvis Costello

Well, kids, it’s New Years Eve Day here on the lovely island of Guam. As I write this, there are less than 16 hours left in this, The Year of Our Lord 2010.

Now I could, if I really wanted to, go off on some maudlin rant about how 2010 was a shitty year, and then list all of the shittyness in detail. I won’t do that, though. That would be Wrong, Petty, and more importantly, Boring. No one wants to read that kind of whiny emo bullshit, no matter who writes it.

Let’s just say that 2010 was not one of my better years, and leave it at that.

I have absolutely zero plans for celebrating the coming of 2011. My lovely bride is spending this Holiday Season with her family in the Philippines, and they are planning on having a normal Filipino New Year. Lots of food, fireworks, and a little Craziness thrown in for good measure.

I, on the other hand, will probably be spending the evening in our apartment having a long serious talk with my personal physician, Dr. Bombay Sapphire. I have neither the money nor the desire to head out Amongst Them in the bars and hotels, indulging in Bad Behavior and using the excuse that it’s the beginning of a New Year to get away with it.

For me, New Years Eve just marks the fact that I have survived yet another year on this earth, above ground as it were, and haven’t yet had to take "The Long Dirt Nap". Who knows what the New Year has in store for me, or for any of us for that matter?

My hopes for 2011 are pretty simple, actually. Win the Guam Sports Bingo, retire to the Philippines, and spend a few weeks back in the good old US of A seeing a bunch of family and friends that I haven’t seen in a long time. I would dearly love to make a trip to Texas to see my daughter and meet my son-in-law and grand daughter. Go back to Colorado and see my parents, spend a little back porch time with my dad. Swing by Missouri for a few days, then on to Oregon for a few days before heading back to the Philippines and retirement.

When I mention “retirement”, I mean living a quiet life “under the radar”. Live in a small house out in the provinces. Enjoy the simple pleasures of life. Fresh pan de sal delivered by bicycle to my house every morning. Hearing the laughter of my wife and her sisters. A lazy afternoon in a hammock under two mango trees, a gentle breeze to cool my fat ass. Firing up the BBQ and indulging in some pork the way my wife cooks it. Simple stuff, true, but the thought of those things appeals to me.

Aside from that, I don’t have Plan 1.

On behalf of my insanely beautiful and wonderful wife, who I miss terribly, I wish you all a very Happy and Prosperous New Year, a year filled with peace and love. May your homes be filled with laughter, a song in your heart.

Prosit Neujahr!

Manigong Bagong Taon sa Inyo!

Akemashite Omedeto Gozaimasu.

No comments:

Post a Comment