Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Notes from The Weird Side of Town

I realize that I haven’t written anything in a while about this wonderfully strange thing I like to call “My Life”, so I thought it time to do so.

++ My awesome daughter took the test to become a Staff Sergeant in the US Air Force last week. I know she was stressing about it, and even if she doesn’t make it this time, I’m incredibly proud of her. Every time someone tells her that she can’t do something, she proves them wrong. The kid is simply amazing. A great airman, a doting and devoted mother to my perfect granddaughter, and, most importantly, just a cool human being. She amazes me at every turn, and I consider it an honor that she’s my kid.

++ The Gorgeous One (AKA, my mahal, my asawa, the woman who married me in spite of my faults) and I got some good news last week. We received word from her doctor in Manila that the insurance company had in fact decided that they would pay for my beloved’s medical treatment, and we would pay the deductible. This means that we will pay a total of $140 instead of the nearly $700 that we would have had to pay if they decided not to cover it. I had no idea how we were going to pay for it if they didn’t cover it, so this is a bit of relief to both of us.

++ Financially, I’m kind of strapped right now. Between the rent and the money I had to send to my insanely beautiful wife, I have a total of $35 to live off of for the next two weeks. You would think that I would be stressing about this, but in reality, I’m not. The electricity works, my internet and cable TV work, and there’s plenty of food in the apartment. I’ve been in far worse situations, and I’m not terribly worried about it. Payday is only 10 days away, and that check will cover everything that hasn’t been paid. Life could be a hell of a lot worse.

++ Last week was my week to give training to everyone in my company. Three classes per day for three days, with the classes lasting about 30 minutes. Some people would think this to be a pain in the ass, but I tried to make it enjoyable for everyone, including me. A boring subject (in this case, security) can sometimes be fun if put into a different light, and that’s what I tried to do. Keep things low key, hit all the important points, but keep it from being dull. Throw some jokes around, interact with the people attending, keep it moving but make it fun. From the comments I received from my coworkers (including from the CEO of the company), I think I was able to accomplish that. It has been a while since I did any public speaking or teaching, and for me, it brought back a lot of memories. I enjoyed it immensely.

++ I have tried not to focus on the negative aspects of my job lately, but it gets hard sometimes. While most of the people I work with are cool, there are more than the fair share of assholes and swine that I have to deal with. Mostly, I’ve been just doing what needs to be done, keeping my mouth shut around anyone in “management” (since there are very few leaders in the company I work in, I won’t use that term), and keep my head down. Try to spend as much time as possible at field sites. Tuesdays are usually my “Weekday from Hell”, as I have to sit in a meeting with people I really don’t like. Today was a little different, in that I was able to say my piece and get the hell out relatively quickly. A good thing, since the meeting went on for 5 additional hours after I left, and, as usual, I’m sure nothing got accomplished. To paraphrase Robert E. Lee, “I would rather face a thousand deaths”.

So that’s about it from here. Between working on my book, playing on Facebook, and watching TV, I’m just relaxing and killing time waiting for 8 PM to roll around so I can call the wife and find out what’s happening in the Philippines.

That’s all from Guam, here in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, where the women are strong, the men good looking, and the children are all above average.

No comments:

Post a Comment