Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Wednesday Notes from The Guam Desk

“I’m a little tired out but I’m feeling OK, but I got a little lost along the way, and I’m just around the corner from the light of day, just around the corner to the light of day” – Bruce Springsteen

Notes, happenings, and commentary from here at what we affectionately refer to as The Guam Desk.

-+- Incredibly wonderful phone call from The Awesome Daughter this morning. She and her coworkers are currently roaming around Texas on what the Air Force calls a field problem. The Wonder Kid seemed totally upbeat and happy, and I got to hear her laugh a bit, which is always a good thing (if you heard her laugh, you would totally understand). We talked about showers in field conditions, MRE’s (aka Meals Refused by Ethiopians) and other field related things. She also advised me that she would be going on temporary duty to the wilds of Indiana in July, which I believe she’s kind of looking forward to. For the first time ever, she asked about my beloved bride and how she is doing. I’m taking this as that she is being more receptive to my marriage, and think it’s a good sign.

-+- The Gorgeous One is still in the Philippines, still coming back at the end of June. She has had to once again be the peacemaker between one of her brothers and his wife, which ended up in her taking the sister in law to the doctor to get her eye looked at (which we paid for). This brother in question apparently had words with his wife after drinking way too much, and gave her a shiner for her troubles. I found this unusual, because the brother in question is generally pretty mild mannered. I still and always will believe however that there is no excuse for hitting a woman, ever. She’s also been dealing with various drama scenarios with my mother in law lately. It can be said that my bride has patience and wisdom far beyond her years, much more than I do. I will not be happy until she is back here on Guam with me.

-+- I had to take one of the new Japanese managers assigned to my department up to one of the remote sites today, to let her see some things first hand. It was a nice little reason to get out of the office, and I think she understands a few things a little bit better now.

What I find odd is how some of my male coworkers think she’s the hottest thing in the world, in particular one of my Palauan coworkers. Maybe I’m just middle aged and happily married, but I for one don’t see the attraction. The woman is “not hard on the eyes”, as the saying goes, but then again, she is not in possession of overly massive beauty either. Certainly not to the levels that some of my male coworkers feel she is. She’s nice, and I think I can work with her; beyond that, nothing else. Sorry, boys, I just don’t see the attraction.

-+- Friday evening I will once again be participating in the annual American Cancer Society Relay for Life, held at the G.W. High School track. This is a massive event that gets well supported by everyone here on Guam. If it is anything like previous years, we can expect to see around 20,000 people or more out there, lots of BBQ action going on, and people pitching in for a very worthy cause. I will be participating along with several of my coworkers, as the company will have a tent there. It’s a lot of fun, and I look forward to it every year.

-+- Just got home after stopping by the grocery store and buying my Guam Sports Bingo (nee lottery) ticket for the Thursday night draw. I’m not greedy: a million dollars would solve all of my financial problems and I could retire and live well.

-+- Instead of dinner, I’m enjoying a couple of glasses of orange juice instead. Been thinking about it for a couple of hours now, and the first glass went down really well. Ice cold and delicious. Think I’m have me another one, which will make my wife very happy indeed.

That’s about it from here at The Guam Desk, out here in the heart of the Pacific Ocean, where the women are strong, the men good looking, and the children are all above average.

No comments:

Post a Comment