Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Pop Culture (Such As It Is)

And now it’s once again time to take a look at pop culture from my somewhat weird perspective. Social commentary, as it were, concerning life as we know it here in the Year of Our Lord 2010.

++I took the time the other night to watch an episode of “Glee”, since my daughter and every other female I know under the age of 50 is in love with that show. Now I see why it’s so popular with the women folk, and I must admit, I even enjoyed it slightly.

++Of all the horribly bad commercials on TV, I think that the ones for hotelplanner.com are the worst of the lot. Every time I see those two guys, in their rejected-from-Kmart sweats, I feel the urge to beat the shit out of them, slowly. The best commercial on TV, by far, is the GEICO commercial with Charlie Daniels in it.

++On the subject of commercials, there is one that cracks me up but gets missed by those who are unaware of the connection. There is a commercial for Keystone Light, where an old lady is standing underneath a tree. When asked what is wrong by Keith Stone, the old lady tells him that her kiki is stuck in a tree. Kiki happens to be a very beautiful girl. What is unknown to most people with no Filipino connections is that the word “kiki” is also Tagalog (language of the Philippines) slang for the vagina. When I hear the old lady say that her kiki is stuck in the tree, it makes me laugh. Either she has done something that defies the laws of physics and anatomy, or she’s a lesbian who has hooked up with a woman at least 30 years her junior. Another example of my screwed up sense of humor, maybe.

++The masses here are getting spun up in election mode again, and with it the bullshit that we all have to deal with. Normally I try to ignore all the fuss, but sometimes it’s not possible. The ones I hate the most are the trucks that drive through my neighborhood, blaring their gibberish, with pictures of “Whatever Asshole We Think Should Win” mounted in the back of the truck. A couple of times, I literally had my BB gun in my hand, hoping that a couple of potshots would hurry them on their merry way. I do not want to hear that shit in my apartment, period.

++If you haven’t had a chance to scope it out, check out “America: The Story of Us” on the History Channel. Even if you aren’t a history buff, this is a really well put together series about American history. It has some great special effects, and is extremely well written. This is one of the few things that I think I will actually spend money and buy the entire series on DVD when it comes out. It’s on the same level as Ken Burns “The Civil War” series. Historically correct, addicting as hell, and fun to watch.

++I have been doing a lot of downloading off of YouTube recently, after a friend showed me how to do it. I’ve been on a big Heart and Warren Zevon bender recently, downloading a ton of music videos. If there is anyone out there that wants to learn how to do it, email me or Google it. Pretty simple and a lot of fun.

++Went to the movies on Saturday to check out the new Robin Hood flick. Russell Crowe is really good in it, and so is Cate Blanchett. You would think that, since it was directed by Ridley Scott (who also directed Crowe in The Gladiator) that it would be sort of The Gladiator Part 2 but set in England, but it really isn’t. A very well done action flick that doesn’t overdo it. I especially liked Cate Blanchett as Maid Marian, and the supporting cast is also quite good. A different spin on the legend of Robin Hood than what I expected.

++SLANG PHRASE OF THE WEEK: “Dropping a Deuce”
As in, “I really wish this stupid meeting would end so I can go drop a deuce.”

1 comment:

  1. I love "America: The Story of Us" - it is a wonderful series! I especially liked in the most recent episode how they portrayed Mr. Tibbits, the pilot from Quincy, Illinois. He is famous for being a member of the crew of the Enola Gay, but the show focused upon his accomplishments before that particular flight. I also like how the History Channel is giving free copies of the series to schools.

    About your age ceiling chosen in your paragraph regarding "Glee" - you're right on the money, as I have not watched it. :-)

    My personal fav right now is "Two and a Half Men." Watch it and try not to laugh, I dare you.

    ReplyDelete