Sunday, September 12, 2010

I know what you're probably thinking. "Here he goes again, pissed off about something and off on another tear". You would, in fact, be correct sir.

How hard is it for potential employers to tell you that, while they appreciate your application and interest in actually working for their company, they don't want to hire you? This is something that has come to mind both in the past and recently for the wife and I. You apply for a job, get interviewed, the person interviewing you expresses interest, then..........nothing. If you follow up the interview a few weeks later with an email, it gets ignored. "Sorry, I don't have the time to reply to your email to tell you that we hired someone else for the position."

It would be both courteous and nice if a company who interviews you lets a guy know in a REASONABLE amount of time whether you are still be considered for the position, or if they have gone another direction. I have had companies I have applied with in the past email or call me to tell me, "Hey, we appreciate your interest, but we've hired someone else for the position". When this has happened to me, I say thank you, and move on. Shit happens.

In our recent history, my wife has applied for some jobs, gone in to get interviewed, only to hear nothing back. Or, weeks or months will go by before the HR people at a company will call or email. In the meantime, since the first company didn't contact you, you went out and found another job with another company.

Maybe it's just me, but I think that employers and human resources people who don't at least notify someone that they didn't get selected for a position that they applied for are rude and unprofessional. I don't believe that treating people with respect and a little dignity is such a hard thing to do. Here on Guam, not being notified when you don't get selected for either a follow up interview or an actual job seems to be the rule and not the exception. Like we're supposed to just GUESS when we don't get the follow up phone call.

Enough of the rant. Time for some food and quality time with The Bride.

No comments:

Post a Comment