Wednesday, October 20, 2010

It Never Hurts to Dream

The following is a fantasy I have had on more than one occasion…….

As I normally do, I check the Sports Bingo results the morning after the draw. Within seconds, I realize that the wife and I are now rich, money beyond our wildest fantasies (and I have some major fantasies). I rush out to the place we purchased the ticket, and within a few minutes it’s confirmed. I’m now the $6 Million Dollar Man, minus the bionic powers of Steve Austin.

It’s arranged that we will pick up the check in two days time, so we start to plan out some things. Of course, we tell not one soul that we’ve won. No friends, no family, no one. We open an account with one of the Philippine banks that has an office on Guam, and make some airplane reservations. It’s agreed that the wife will leave a couple of days ahead of me, and I’ll stay behind on Guam and make a few arrangements. We celebrate our good fortune by going out to a fine dinner, then coming home and making love all evening.

The day comes where we will actually get the money, and I call in sick to work. We insist that no photos be taken of us getting the check as we both want this to be as under the radar as possible. The money gets deposited in the Philippine bank account, minus $25,000 that we will need in cash immediately. The next day, I call in sick again and the wife boards a flight to Manila, with $10K in her pocket for immediate spending needs when she arrives. . I get what little we actually want to ship to the Philippines picked up and on its way, after which I move into a motel room for the night. I drop by the realty management office to tell them that we no longer need our apartment, and I pay them 1 months rent in advance for the trouble, which should cover the cost of cleaning the apartment. That evening, the wife calls me to tell me that she’s safely at her family’s house, and everything is going according to plan.

The next day, with everything laid out, I go to work as usual. Since my flight is at 8 that evening, I have time to kill, so while doing my work, I pick up a few things to take on the plane with me and some stuff I want to give to a couple of friends. I prepare a bill of sale for my car (for $1) and get it notarized which I will leave on one of my friend’s desks. I know he’ll either sell it or give it to his wife. With the bill of sale, I put a note telling him that there is a box stashed somewhere with stuff I want him to give to various people I work with. There are also notes for my three best friends about future plans and how to contact me in the next few weeks. These are people I absolutely trust and love, and want to do business with them in the future. Since my friend works weird hours, I’m pretty sure he won’t see either the note or the bill of sale until the next day I also pull all of the computer files I want/need off of my desktop computer and on to a thumb drive.

5 PM rolls around, and I stroll over to the corporate HQ. Since the CEO of the company is on the golf course, I head over to the Chief Operating Officers office. I stroll in, throw my work keys and ID on his desk, tell him simply, “I quit”, then walk out of the office. No goodbyes, no farewells, just slip off into the good night. Stop by the motel, change clothes and grab my bags, then it’s off to the airport. Four hours later, I’m in Manila. Two hours after that, I’m at the wife’s house in the country.

The next few weeks are spent making plans for the future. College educations are paid for in advance, and construction projects are put into motion. I make some flight arrangements for an extensive trip to the US to see family and friends. Fly to Texas and meet my son-in-law and granddaughter for the first time, and spend some quality time with my daughter seeing the sights in San Antonio. Set the granddaughter up with a trust fund while I am there, and see my daughter behind the wheel of a new car with some money deposited into her bank account. Stop by the homestead in Colorado for some back porch time with my Dad and to pay their mortgage. A quick trip to Missouri to see my aunt and pay her mortgage off. Bop up to Seattle to drop off a check to my ex-wife so that I won’t have the threat of spousal support hanging over me anymore, as well as dropping in on an old friend. Lastly but not leastly a stop for two days in Oregon to see my friends Jenna and Lindsay. My total time in America is about three weeks.

Back to the Philippines I fly, and the wife and I settle in to our new life. Contact a couple of friends in Guam about a business venture I would like to get rolling that I want them to be involved with, as a follow-up to the notes I left them when I departed. They would be the primary brains behind the venture, while I would supply the initial capital for it and the overall manager. It will also give me enough to do without getting bored, but at the same time not actually feeling like work. Supervise the construction projects that the wife and I have planned, and spend a decent amount of time wrapped up in a hammock underneath a mango tree with the wife, drinking cold beers, snuggling and doing absolutely nothing.

This is just a fantasy, but a pretty good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment