Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Jammage

As anyone who has known me well realizes, music is one of my passions. It’s my hiding place, where I can go and escape the weirdness and reality of the real world and focus on nothing. Forget all about all of my troubles, frustrations, stupid shit. Let the tunes take my psyche somewhere good, somewhere pure. No bills, no crazy people, no idiots. Put the headphones on or sit in the car and crank up the power, let the jammage wash over me, get some cleanliness on my soul. If I’m alone or in a car, I can’t help but sing along with my horribly off tune voice that makes me happy regardless.

I find it interesting to know what friends are listening to because it kind of lets you know where they are and what’s making them feel good. Here are some of the things I have be wrapping my brain around lately.

The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald – Gordon Lightfoot
They just celebrated the anniversary of the sinking of the Edmond Fitzgerald not too long ago, which reminded me of this great song. Stark and somber, perfect voice that are singing descriptive words, with a great guitar underlying all of it. Gordon Lightfoot tells the story in such a way that you’re just immediately drawn in, wanting to know what happened. It’s sad, but at the same time it honors the 29 men who died.

Wolf Creek Pass – C.W. McCall
An old song from the 70’s that I hadn’t heard in a while until recently. For those of you unfamiliar with it, it’s the story of two guys driving a truck loaded with chickens over the pass and the Bad Craziness that happens. A hilarious song that makes me laugh and smile even today. I love a lot of C.W.’s work, but this is my favorite, with “Crispy Critters” coming in a close second.

Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner – Warren Zevon
Another genius who died way too young, Zevon gave us so many great jams. A mercenary who gets murdered by his “friend”, and comes back from the grave to get his revenge.

Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me – Elton John
I don’t know what drove me to this song recently, but something did and did so in a big bad way. A favorite for singing in the car at the top of your lungs and not giving a shit what the guy in the next lane thinks. Beautiful lyrics, and probably my favorite Elton John song.

Jewish Princess – Frank Zappa
Love me some Frank Zappa, for the simple reason that he makes me think and laugh at the same time. Frank was a master at wordplay and does so masterfully. The line about “she squeaks when she comes” is just too funny!

Walk On Medley – Boston
Layered power chords, basically one song broken down into four separate parts. Orchestrated electrical goodness that demands to be played loud. Sometimes a brother just has to rock out.

Goodbye Earl – Dixie Chicks
The greatest song about premeditated murder/revenge ever written, bar none. Funny as hell with a great bit of music interweaving in the story. I love the Chicks, and this is one of my favorites. The video, featuring Dennis Franz as Earl, is really good. “We’ll pack a lunch, and stuff you in the trunk, Earl”.

These are just some of the many things I have been injecting into my head, and they help me maintain what is left of my sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment