Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Breaking Fast

I make no secret of the fact that I find breakfast to be the most wonderful meal of the day. Where some people get confused is that during the work week, I hardly ever actually eat breakfast. On those days that I have to go to work, the first meal of the day for me is usually lunch. I’ll have coffee and a couple of cigarettes before leaving the house, but that’s’ about it as far as post-wake-up nourishment is concerned.

Days off, however, are a different matter. Yes, I’ll be cooking some breakfast. Depending on how I roll on a particular day, I may not eat lunch or dinner later because I’ll still be full. Some thoughts about “breaking fast”.

BACON IS PORK
It’s made from pig. Not any other animal, and most certainly not from soy. Soy bacon is not bacon, and in fact is not food. It’s evil, stupid and wrong on many different levels, and should only be served to people you really don’t like. Child molesters and suspected domestic terrorists should be served soy bacon as part of their rehabilitation. I’m a big fan of thick slab bacon, fried crisp and served in quantity. A half pound of good bacon is not overdoing it as far as a meal is concerned.

MILK GRAVY
Sometimes known as Shit-On-A-Shingle, sausage gravy, or by other names. It deserves to be its own food group because of its tasty goodness. My Mom in Colorado makes killer gravy, second only to my late grandmother, who made the best gravy on this planet or any other. Pour it over biscuits, toast, rice, or by its own self. The daughter, when encountering milk gravy at a buffet, likes to dip pieces of cucumber in the gravy, going for the crispness of the veggie along with the gravy goodness. My personal preference is to use either Tennessee Pride Hot or Jimmy Deans Hot sausage, smother and cover everything. I always make too much, and warmed up in the microwave the next day for lunch it can be a thing of wonder. WARNING: Eating too much milk gravy has a tendency to induce lethargy and laziness.

NOT JUST A MORNING THING
Although I’m not a big fan of having it when I have to work, I’ll sometimes make breakfast foods for dinner. An omelet or waffles or pancakes for dinner can be a wonderful thing. Cold cereal is also a nice evening meal (also known as “Seinfelding”, named after Jerry Seinfeld). It’s also a good alternative on those nights when you’re tired and really don’t feel like cooking. It takes no effort to throw 6 Eggo waffles in the toaster, smother them with syrup and butter, and stuff your face.

RICE INSTEAD OF TATERS
Every once in a while, I’ll have rice as an alternative to hash browns or tater tots, which are my usual go-to for breakfast. My wife, The Gorgeous One, likes rice topped with a couple of fried eggs, and if I cook bacon or sausage, she’s usually up for that as well. Rice is filling and goes well with all of the other things normally associated with breakfast foods. Being that I’m married to a Filipina, it’s also readily available in my house.

These are just some of my thoughts about the best meal of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment