Monday, April 5, 2010

Mondays Don't Always Suck

Notes on the Human Condition and other gibberish from my home here in Hagatna……….

-A 13 hour workday can be an ass kicker sometimes, while on others it can be a very satisfying experience. Today was one of the latter. Because of my insomnia, I was wide-ass awake at 3:30 this morning, so I decided to just give up and go to work early. From the time I arrived at work until 12 hours later, it was nonstop. So much so that I finally got to sit down and eat lunch at 3 in the afternoon. I finally arrived home at 7 PM this fine evening, satisfied that the company that provides me with a paycheck got their moneys’ worth today. I’m tired, but in a good way.

-Tuesdays where I work generally suck, because Tuesdays are Meeting Day. We have what is known as a Network Leaders Meeting, where a small group of us get together with the bosses and talk about what is going on and what we are doing. These are mostly frustrating exercises in futility, as we generally go for 4 hours or more and get nothing accomplished. Usually the conversation gets sent off in some weird direction, and any attempt to get back on track is met with confused looks from the bosses. I will be downing the coffee tomorrow morning and throughout the meeting like it is my One True Friend.

-My friend Craig and I are taking turns being the Designated Asshole a couple of times a week. We don’t plan this, but for some reason it just happens. Someone in management will do or ask something so horribly Wrong and Stupid that one of us is forced to resort to dickheadish behavior, right on the verge of Rudeness. It’s nearly always necessary, and sometimes it can be a lot of fun, if done right.

-This afternoon I had an encounter with what can only be considered a retarded member of the canine family. I’m driving down the main highway here on Guam, doing about 60, when I notice a dog crossing the road up ahead. I slow down, thinking that the animal will cross the road and I’ll be on my way. This dog decides that lying down in between two lanes of a very busy highway is a fine idea, and does so. I stop my truck about 10 feet away from said animal, and gently honk the horn, trying to urge him along to Somewhere Else. This causes the dog to get up and sit down right in front of my truck and stare at me for a good 30 seconds, bewildered as to what could be making such a horrible noise. I’m at the point where I’m getting ready to get out of the truck and encourage the dog along with a crowbar, when, for reasons unknown, the dog tears ass back across the road from whence he came.

-I got invited to go hear one of my friends play in his band this weekend at a bar, and I finally got off my ass and went to see them. He has been inviting me to check out his band for 3 years now, and something always comes up and I can’t go. In spite of the fact that I promised my lovely bride that I would be on my best behavior while we are apart, I went and checked them out. The band was really good, playing the kind of music I like to listen to. My friend plays bass, and they were jamming to some classic rock with the odd country song thrown in for good measure. The bar was nice, but not the kind of place I would normally hang out in, and the drinks were pricey even by Guam standards ($5 for domestic beer). That and the fact that there was a Navy ship in port and the bar was crawling with sailors kind of threw off the atmosphere of the place. I stayed until about halfway through their second set and my third beer and went home.

-Usually, when my company gives us a long weekend, I will at one point end up back in the office. Normally it is sheer boredom at home that drives me to it. This weekend was different. Other than going out for the odd domestic chore like laundry, I stayed in the apartment, watching TV and sleeping a lot. Friday afternoon I was in Deep Nap Mode, waking up to find out that it was dark outside already. A little food, a shower, and back to bed, falling asleep with the television on. Not a bad way to spend a weekend with the wife not being on island. If I can’t have the pleasure of her company, I can catch up on my laziness.

More later, possibly. Need food and a cold drank.

No comments:

Post a Comment