Thursday, February 10, 2011

Harder and Stranger: A Random Mishmash of Thoughts

“And when money talks for the very last time,
And no one walks a step behind,
When there’s only one race and that’s mankind,
We shall be free”
Garth Brooks

A mishmash of thoughts and observations, kinda thrown together in random order.

Getting Shown the Door
Another guy I work with got fired the other day from my department. Apparently the folks from HR thought he might get violent after getting the news because immediately outside the door of the room they were doing the firing in were three of the biggest dudes I have ever seen in my life. This was the first Chamorro I saw who was well over 6’6” and looked like he would not take any shit off of anyone. The firing went off without incident and no one got hurt, at least physically.

I feel for the guy who got fired, because I know him and his wife, and always thought him to be a pretty decent dude. I know some of the “behind the scenes” stuff as to why he got canned, but I’m sure that there is a whole lot more I don’t know. That’s why it sucks to work for a company that can fire you “at will”.

Driving With the Cham-Tards (Chamorro Retards)
Every time I think I have seen it all in regard to bizarre behavior from my fellow citizens when they get behind the wheel of a car, something always happens to make me scratch my head. WTF moments that cause a guy to pause for a minute and ponder if the person behind the wheel has any clue about what they are doing.

This happened to me today. Driving home from work, and a lady (I checked) could not make up her mind where she wanted to make a right turn. She looked like she was turning right, made indications that she was in fact going to turn and even started the turn, but changed her mind at the last minute and decided to go straight. This happened 4 times in the space of 100 meters of road.

BTW, if you happened to be that lady in Hagatna, and heard someone say something along the lines of “What the fuck are you doing?” – that was me.

Surviving Versus Living
Living a Life = squeezing every single bit out of life, making each and every day count for something. Doesn’t necessarily mean just your job, but everything in life. Trying to have as much fun as possible, constantly looking for new experiences, doing new things. Enjoying everything that comes your way, or at least making an effort to enjoy them and not focus in any way on the bad shit.

Surviving a Life = just trying to keep a roof over your head and food in your belly. No time for enjoying life; more like just trying to get through it with some semblance of sanity left intact. Being tired all the time. Bones hurt, body aches. Wife is always pissed off about something and is never “romantically inclined” (meaning “in the mood for love”), boss is not a happy camper. Zero chance for promotion at work, raises few and far between. No extra cash laying around for anything. Work your ass off, go home, and hope to get a little dinner and TV before jumping right back in the rat race.

I don’t know about anyone else, but right now I’m in survival mode. Trying to see the good and not focus on the bad, but right now it’s damn near impossible.

Getting Stuck
Currently at my job, I am the stuckee on a project that has everyone in a twitter over at The Death Star (my name for Corporate Headquarters) here at Totally Bogus Communications. It’s called Asset Tracking, and I’m the stuckee for my department because I was given the project 2 years ago to get it up and running. Two years have passed, and nothing else has been done on it, so guess who gets stuck with it again.

This is maddening to me, because I’m not a logistics person, but got stuck with it anyway. So I have been busting my ass getting shit organized and back up to speed, but because of that, have not been able to focus my attention on my primary job. This forced me to recently tell my three bosses to not get upset if shit starts breaking or falling through the cracks, because I can’t do both at the same time. Because the project takes a lot of highly tedious work to get done, I have also recommended to the bosses that they hire someone full time to do it. Because what I suggested meant actually spending money, this was of course rejected out of hand. Yep, it just keeps getting harder and stranger around here.

“When the Going Gets Weird, the Weird Turn Pro.” – Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment