Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Current Playlist

My current playlist of stuff that makes me happy or want to sing in the car.

“Carolina in my Mind” – James Taylor
OK, some of the lyrics make absolutely no sense at all. There are others that are insanely good. “And it seems like it goes on like this forever, you must forgive me if I’ve up and gone to Carolina in my mind” – genius. I’ve always loved James Taylor, but as I get older I’m starting to appreciate him even more.

“Thunder Road” – Bruce Springsteen
I’ve listened to this song many times in the past, but recently it’s taken on new meaning. For some reason (I was probably behind the wheel and bored), I really started paying attention to the lyrics a bit more, and realized that Bruce Springsteen is probably the greatest musical genius America has created in the last 40 years. That probably explains why I listened to this song 38 times the other day.

“Stars Tonight” – Lady Antebellum
It is impossible to not feel good after hearing this song. Such positive energy, driven by some very kick ass music. The guy in the next lane over probably thought I was insane while singing along and pumping my fist listening to this jam. This is a band I am going to keep a serious eye on, because they have the potential to become absolute monsters in the country-pop arena.

“If You Want Blood (You Got It)” – AC/DC
When they’re shoveling dirt over my grave, I’ll still love AC/DC, even though I’m not a huge fan of metal. A great song to get aggressive with.

“Who Are You” – The Who
No playlist of mine would be lacking a Who cut. I’m digging on this at the moment because Roger Daltreys’ singing of Pete’s lyrics are just brutal, filled with anger and attitude. Sounds like THE most pissed off white boy on the planet, ready to kick the shit out of anyone or anything that gets in his way. The Who are still the gold standard as far as rock music is concerned, at least in my brain.

“Shower the People” – James Taylor
I know, another track from “Mr. Mellow” his own self. I just dig the way the track is put together, and the sentiment behind the lyrics, about never letting those who we love know that we love them. Something that we should all think about.

There are others, but these are the songs that have captured my imagination lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment