Thursday, August 12, 2010

Thursday Notes from The Guam Desk

Some notes on this rainy Thursday evening from here at the Guam Desk.

Early this morning, I was at one of the sites I work at taking care of some wiring and maintenance. It’s an apartment building, and our site happens to be on the 11th floor of this building. As I was riding the elevator back downstairs, a Korean woman got on with a yellow Lab puppy that was maybe 6 months old. The dog was on a leash, but it was acting up a bit, anxious to get outside and take its morning constitutional (meaning dump). The woman kept telling the dog “Sit, sit” in Korean, but the dog wasn’t having any of it. I asked the woman, in Korean, if her dog understood Korean. She told me, “He’s bilingual”. For some reason, this struck me as being pretty funny.

++++++++++

I would like to personally thank the Government of Guam, or whoever is responsible for the roadways here on this lovely island, for all the work that is currently underway to do whatever the hell it is that they are doing on the roads. I just wish that you bastards would have thought a little about scheduling. There are currently at least 5 different major projects going on that affect 4 of the major roads here, and each of these projects has turned travel on Guam into one big pain in the ass. The nightmare’s in Barrigada and Sinajana have been particularly annoying to me of late, as I have been doing a lot of work in these areas.

++++++++++

Speaking of GovGuam, the wife and I had a chance to spend some time with the good folks out at the Guam Public Health and Human Services building recently. Now I’ve been around government buildings pretty much my entire adult life, but I can honestly say I’ve never been at a place where you can actually feel the hopelessness as you can at this building. The place just reeks of doom and despair, for some strange reason.

++++++++++

I don’t know about anyone else, but I for one will be glad when election season is finally over. You can’t drive 100 feet on this isle without being inundated with all of the posters and road signs. It has gotten to the point where it’s more or less a blight on the landscape, especially the Calvo-Tenorio signs. The damn things are everywhere.

++++++++++

Generally, I like rainstorms, and I’m particularly fond of thunderstorms. We’ve had some doozies lately, though. I was driving around the southern end of the island the other day, and it rained so hard so fast that I literally had to pull over to the side of the road and wait it out.

++++++++++

That’s pretty much it from here on Guam, where the muumuus are large, the men good looking, and the children are all above average.

No comments:

Post a Comment