Thursday, August 26, 2010

Thursday Evening Notes from The Guam Desk

And now it’s time once again for some utterances and amusements from what we lovingly like to refer to as “The Guam Desk”, otherwise known as this thing I call my life.

++++++

I’m trying to live by the mantra “Work Hard and Keep Your Mouth Shut” at work, but it keeps getting harder and harder every day. I have a meeting that I am supposed to go to every Tuesday morning that I put in the same category as anal surgery without anesthesia; something to avoid if I can possibly get away with it. Go to these meetings, tell the managers (since we have no leaders) what the deal is, and then get asked the same exact questions the next week. Managers being reactive instead of proactive. I had a bit of a mini-explosion on one of my managers yesterday, because I was at the point where I believed that screaming at the bastard would be the only way to get my point across, since nothing else was working. Naturally, what I told him went in one ear and out the other.

“I love my job, I love my job, I love my job.”

++++++

You would think, given the fact that Guam is a pretty small island, that it would be nearly impossible to get lost. You see the island on a map and think, “There’s no way anyone could get lost on Guam. It’s too small a place. Plus, this guy has lived there for 4 years already, probably knows every nook and cranny of the island.”

I got lost yesterday.

One of my bosses tasked me to take a look at one of our old sites to see if it would be possible for me to install some microwave equipment there and get the particular cell site off of leased connectivity. Since I had never been to the site in question, I asked a couple of my friends how to get to the place. They told me, “Oh, it’s easy. Look for this street name nearby this elementary school, and you’ll see the site on the left hand side of the road.” Sounded reasonable to me, so off I went

The problem was that someone stole the street sign I happened to be looking for. I ended up on a back road that I didn’t even know existed, in a place where they have only seen white people like me on television. What many of us refer to as “banjo country”, as in “you can hear the banjo’s playing the theme song from “Deliverance” when you’re back that far in the jungle.” I eventually made my way back to an area that I knew, but it was just a little weird for a few short minutes. I had also never seen a boat up on cinder blocks before, like you would see an old car in many white trashy neighborhoods, but I saw one yesterday. In fact I saw several.

++++++

This weekend is our annual Employee Picnic, which, once again, I will not be attending. Sundays are generally days that the wife and I do a whole lot of nothing. That and the fact that I have to be nice to people I don’t really like while I’m at work; I’ll be damned if I’m going to do it on my off time if I don’t have to.

Some would call this being antisocial, but I beg to disagree. Another example of where my job and the people I do it with do not define who I am. It’s cool to hang out with some of the cool people at work in a pleasant setting, but it’s the other assholes that I would have to deal with that I can’t stand that put a damper on it.

++++++
That is All Ye Know, and All Ye Need to Know, at least for now.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
“The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with our female party guests - we did.”
Otto, Animal House

No comments:

Post a Comment